View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 06:57 AM   #86
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I just want you to know that I have my good days and bad days too. I have been totally isolated since the end of February, and I finally decided that it was safe to let my son come and visit me on my lanai outside 25 feet away. I had the umbrella set up a couple of days early and put some chairs over there for him. And then Mother’s Day came and it decided to rain. Luckily, my son sucked it up, and sat under the umbrella in the pool to stay dry. LOL. Sometimes I feel like I have the worst luck of anyone.

I am a breast cancer survivor. I grew my own organic vegetables starting back in the 70s and always lived a healthy lifestyle. I was shocked that in my 50s I was diagnosed with cancer that was caused by some toxins in my environment.
I have also had a meltdown post on here. It seems like I have worked so hard in the last 15 + years to get stronger, I’ve also had to gain 35 pounds because of osteoporosis drugs that made me so sick I was not able to keep anything down. It seems like all I’m trying to do is recover from something. At my age, my mother was so healthy compared to me.
The thought of my children and grandchildren coming to visit me often was a thing that kept me motivated. Of course, this has all changed and my grandchildren who are in Baltimore have not been able to come at all.

As hard as it is for me to believe, I’m going to be 70 on May 26. My daughter and her family as well as my youngest son were all going to drag me over to Disney World So we could have a week just hanging out together and ordering room service by the pool. They were going to go to Disney and then I would rest until the next day. Nothing to look forward to now.
The only thing that gets me through is that I have a beautiful home with a beautiful pool and I have property that I can go out and enjoy.

You mentioned you moved from an area where you had lots of land and it sounds to me like you may be missing that as well. When I first moved here, I chose another development that had a community pool and tennis courts and a big meeting room where they had all kinds of activities for all the residents to do. I thought I wanted that lifestyle, but I was wrong.

I need to have my own space and be able to do my own thing. Have you asked yourself if part of the problem is you chose the wrong place to live? If you had some property and your husband could go out and shoot in his backyard, would that improve your situation? You don’t have to be stuck with a wrong decision.
We don’t all consider this to be just like the flu. Many of us are taking it very seriously.
Wow. I just visited a friend of mine yesterday in Eaton. It was her 70th birthday as well. She lives alone in a remote location. Just moved there from another state where she lived in the city a year ago. She loves it but admits she has not been able to meet many people and especially now.

I feel for you being a cancer survivor and it makes this virus thing all the more scary for you and then also having your plans being with your family destroyed. Just terrible.

I try to have faith but I am obviously not doing a good job of it. Have to work on it more.

We chose this brand new house also for the price (even though if you ask me all the homes are over priced in NH for what they are - especially compared to the family home we sold in NY) and low maintenance. It is actually like a cottage- one level. We felt as we age we should not be isolated and also if we did not move now it would only be harder later.

I never want to go through moving again. We had to move to a rental first before this house was finished and my husband was able to retire. Then we had to move again- here- in the winter. Downsizing was a ton of work as well- and we are not hoarders by any stretch. And we are still dealing with the builder and some problems with the house which does not lend to a good feeling. I want to make this a home- not just a house. But that includes having family visit as you mentioned yourself.

I need some social or I will go bonkers. I am not sure if this was right or not but when I get out into nature - though I have to drive to it- it does help a lot. I can walk to the boardwalk so that is good also.

If I can get out onto the lake on the MS Mt Washington or mail boats that will be good for me also. But who knows if that will happen this year. We cannot afford the expense and don't want the hassle of owning a boat. Not like we live on the water either. Wish I had my own pool though as the one here is small and cold and a lot of kids and anyway it isn't opening now. If I can find a quiet lake beach to launch my floaty in the summer I will love that. But they need to have bathrooms open at these parks.

Anyway, all we can do is hang in there and take one day at a time.