View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 06:47 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

"If you have to ask (how you save fuel), you can't afford it."

JK, sorta, but at some level it is what it is. When we bought our new vessel, I looked up the efficiency chart and discovered that the engine is most efficient (vs. speed as a ratio) at 3500 RPMs. Since that's about 20 MPH, which is fine for a cruising speed, we tested it a few times ±500 RPMs going to West Alton sandbar and back, and it was about right.

The problem is there are so many other variables that might change the formula: Bimini open/closed, number of passengers/weight, current, wind, how many Pop's delicious shrimps I ate at lunch, etc. that, ultimately, it's not all that consistent.

I think the best thing to save gas is just change driving habits and use.

One thing that halves our daily use is going out with another couple. Along with more anchoring rather than cruising, it's a huge savings.

Oh, and finally, we've looked to save overall to make up for fuel costs—instead of eating out the other day, we ate lunch on the boat. The $100 lunch savings outweighed the extra $60 fuel. (Of course, we hit up Town Docks yesterday on the skis, which cost $90 along with $100 in fuel!)

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote