View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 07:13 AM   #8
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Let's see. There is no place on Winnipesaukee that takes more than an hour to get to at 22 kts. If I add fuel burn monitors ($500 x2?) a new MFD ($4000?) I spend $5000. I can reduce fuel burn from 25 gph to 23 gph(?) and save $12/hour? $12 sounds pretty good, but it will take 400+ hours to break even. If I'm cruising at displacement speeds (where I have never dumped a tray of hors d'oeuvres), my fuel burn is more like 5-8 gph.
2. Fuel is only a small part of boating costs
3. You don't have to go fast to enjoy boating.
Depends on your engines. If you have older engines and need inline fuel flow devices, it's less than $500 for a PAIR, not each.

A basic Raymarine Axiom 7 is less than $600.

A NMEA2000 starter kit is $100.

So realistically you're at about $1200. Unless you already have an MFD purchased in the last 10 years or so, then odds are it has NMEA2000 connectivity.

And of course my original comments were targeted at those who are burning enough fuel to make thinking about managing consumption rates worthwhile. If you're just puttering along at idle speed most of the time, then this whole thread isn't really relevant.

Also by monitoring fuel consumption, and possibly other engine data that you won't get on standard analog gauges, you get a better idea for how your engines are running and potential maintenance issues that can be done early before they get expensive.