Thread: The Dive?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #331
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I hope the entrepreneurs do not suffer a loss. But if they do get reined in, most of the fault is their own for not anticipating the blowback.

I'm confused by your second paragraph and not sure how you expect the landowners to anticipate every eventuality that they might not like, and then preemptively push for laws against them, but I am sure that would lead to more regulation. That leaves the landowners behind, as you say, but not powerless.

Maybe is was not fair (or prudent) of The Dive to invest/open without a community meeting so that all could understand the pros and cons before money was put on the line?
Yep - agree with you with almost everything stated. As a business owner, regulations can always impact a business (e.g., gun regulation forces people to flock to buy but a speed limit on a lake known for speed boats can force them out and crush that speed boat market). That last parens is not meant to spark debate but to illustrate an example. It's exactly as I stated, a slippery slope. Fact is there is always going to be folks unhappy.

This is a small business with a cool concept that people are very attracted to. It would be a shame if a very few minority took it down.

Only part I don't agree with is the open community forum...First, why let others dictate how to run a business that you legally want to run? Second, why give someone else the opportunity to replicate before you (here, likely minimal risk...but it's still a risk). And third, having that open forum allows others the opportunity to kill the concept before it begins. At least now they have a tried, true and legal business concept that is working. Hopefully they can pocket some profit before the debbie downers figure out a way to ruin another fun aspect of the lake.