View Single Post
Old 01-31-2022, 05:13 PM   #24
DRH

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
It's been very cold here in NJ too. The shore area got over a foot of snow on Saturday, while here in the northeast corner of the state it was 6-8". Morning temps in the single digits. Woke up to 10 degrees outside yesterday and 51 inside. My steam boiler which was scheduled to be replaced at the end of February gave out during the night. Limped along with 3 electric space heaters and baseboard heat in bathroom until the temps outside reached 25 and inside was 55. Turned on the Fujitsu mini splits and managed to get the house up to 65. My mini splits are only rated to be effective to 25 degrees for heating. Normally I use the steam boiler with natural gas for fuel and used the minis strictly for cooling. Thank goodness for the minis! Luckily my plumber arrived early this a.m. with a new 100K BTU boiler, and it is being installed as I type this. That and a new 40 gallon gas water heater which had also been planned for installation next month. Can't believe the boiler gave up the ghost on the coldest weekend of the winter. Forecast shows 48 degrees here on Thursday!
If you check your boiler's original warranty it probably states that once out-of-warranty it will probably fail on one of the coldest day of the year! Yes, good thing you have the mini-splits. Ours are working well here in Meredith, although we're supplementing them with the oil boiler and the gas stove in the living room on the coldest days.

Tomorrow it will be February ... I wonder what Mother Nature has in store for us next month!