View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #37
Newbiesaukee

I’ve avoided discussion some of these issues on the forum, but “in for a penny…..”

The statement has been made on these forums that:

Everyone should do his own research and draw conclusions as to what is best for him. ( substitute gender neutral,if you wish).

Absolutely nothing wrong with this position, BUT…

I don’t know squat about winterizing cars, the best kind of dock, the best roof material, Ford or Chevy and the forum has been unbelievably helpful in these relevant Lake discussions. But even after reading the helpful responses, I still am not really able to “do the research and draw conclusions” simply because I don’t have the background to understand some of the discussion and I don’t really know the accuracy of the informants, MOST of whom do seem to be knowlegible.”

On the other hand, I do have the background to understand the issues concerning Covid and I can read the original literature and make decisions based on this. And the other part is there are a lot of things that are not clear and are still unknown. Even experts need to understand enough to make the best decisions. And there should always be open mindedness about points of view.

When we go to the doctor we , hopefully, are given a diagnosis and an honest discussion of what is best for us. And we do ultimately make our decisions based on the doctors advice and either a second opinion or other valid sources of information.

The problem, as I see it with Covid is that the idea that “I’ll do my research and make my own decision and no one can tell me what to do.” has been so politicized as to make it just not reasonable. What kind of medical research has the pro basketball player done to justify not getting vaccinated? Or the master mechanic? Or, on a different subject such as winterizing, does a jerk like me decide who doesn’t even know what a battery tickler is?

End of rant.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post: