View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 02:37 PM   #51
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossipeejetboater View Post
Recently a group of homeowners on Ossipee lake has sent a letter to the Department of Safety to propose rafting restrictions at a popular sandbar. Does anyone have experience or suggestions on how to fight this? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Having fought various regulations as part of a group on Winnipesaukee, my first suggestion is to organize a group of people against these restrictions. The government listens better to a group with a solidified argument as opposed to several individual arguments.

Second, understand what the petitioners arguments are for the restrictions,, and figure out how to diplomatically argue against them...

Third find politicians that understand your arguments against the petition, and invite them out with you to the sandbar so they get some first hand experience.

Fourth be ready for battle, often time petitioners in cases like this have deep pockets, and stop at nothing to get what they want.

Fifth, be ready to loose.... In the battles I have been involved in common sense and logic doesn't prevail, emotions do, and those that can create the most emotion around the issue will win.... The state understand the revenue that shore front Taxes create, they chose to do things that ensure that stream of revenue doesn't get upset.