View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 06:04 AM   #12
ApS

Thumbs up Still a Fan of I-81...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
In a couple of weeks I will be driving from the Culpepper, VA area to Wolfeboro, and I am looking for some route advice. I particularly DO NOT want to use either the GW or the Tappan Zee bridge, neither do I want to travel through New Jersey traffic. I am hoping to stay west of all the congestion of NYC, etc. Also, recognizing that there could be weather, I want to stay away from Albany - Bennington - Brattleboro if possible. So far I have spoken with several people and have gotten several + 5 answers. I know there are Forumites who travel this route. Thanks for any suggestions. PM me if you like.
So what directions would you suggest, after these many suggestions that mention I-81?

I've been taking the same I-81 highway for nigh-on 20 years. Last Autumn I had my first traffic jam. Flashing signs stated the Interstate was blocked in both directions!

Although I have Waze on my Smartphone, there was no way to access it in a timely fashion. However, I noticed a Mustang, who turned sharply onto an exit--followed sharply by a Volvo station wagon. Taking a chance, I swerved to join them.

Then there was five of us, "rolling over hill and dale". There were turns I thought belonged to someone's driveway, and thought I'd made a terrible mistake! But we became tourists to marvelous, green, peaceful, and bucolic North Virginia scenery for about 20 minutes.

Returning to the Interstate, a Trooper appeared in sight, who waved the Mustang and Volvo through--and halted me and a few behind me. It was a long wait--although maybe only 5 minutes--and we were allowed to proceed.

If you get off the Interstate in Virginia or Maryland (nicknamed "the freak state" for some reason--Maryland's "Rain Tax", maybe?) you'll see some exquisite scenery this side of New Hampshire.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote