Thread: Steelcraft
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
mowtorman

Default NH Dept. of Safety

One of the interesting facts of Steelcraft is that they were lighter than wood boats of similar size. The other thing for me is how many vivid memories I have related to specific events on the lake. Like that NH Dept. of Safety Steelcraft. The DOS had a number of small wooden lapstrake boats and two tone highliners. I have been present for 2 boat explosions, both wood boats between the late 60's and early 70's. A Cruiser's Inc. was the Braun Bay event and a Chris Craft blew at the Sunday night fireworks. It was like a bolt of lightning with the sound of a cherry bomb or m-80. A couple was pulled out and brought to the Weirs docks with minor injuries and the boat sank. I always use the blower and sometimes vent the engine cover for no good reason but sometimes I just like to see and smell for myself. Boating is a matter of seconds between pure pleasure and tragedy. Some of the worst accidents have involved some of the most seasoned Winnipesaukee boaters. I saw the cigarette boat at Channel Marine the day after it split the cabin in Meredith Bay. Vivid images like that dangling state of the art grappling hook before side scan sonar. The lake demands vigilance and respect all 4 seasons. Even the latest lake apps and Garvins are not preventing people from running aground or into other boats.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links