View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Not Winni related, but y'all are a wealth of info. Looking for unique beaches to take the kiddos--think tide pools, tide-created sandbars, limited-time-due-to-tide islands, etc. Southern Maine to northern MA, please. Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Ok...I'll share my special beach with you but to appreciate it you have to plan to be there at low tide.
Popham beach in Phippsburg Maine is about two hours from here but one of the most beautiful beaches you'll ever see.
Two islands that you can walk to at low tide but don't get caught because there are dangerous rip currants
when the tide comes back in along a narrow sandbar.Several miles of beach with driftwood, rocky outcroppings, tidal rivers and an occasional harbor seal.Even on a busy day you can find a quiet spot....it's so huge and for the most part it's not that busy because there are no condo developments, arcades or hotels and attractions.
Only a sleepy little fishing village with a few guest houses and one very nice waterfront restaurant.
This is not a typical straight beach.It winds around tidal rivers, tidal pools, rocks and islands but the most amazing thing is the level of the beach itself.
It is very shallow on the south side of the state park beach and the tide goes out about 1/8 of a mile and it's almost unnerving,but exciting to be that far from shore.When the tide is out the sun warms the sand which also warms the water as it returns.
It's doable as a day trip or try to book a room at Spinneys....they have a guest house and several cottages.
If you have little ones, you'll probable want to park at the state park beach.If you park near the fort by Spinney's its a beautiful,but 4 mile walk to the shallow part of the beach.
Check it out on Google Earth and give it a try.....bet it will be your favorite beach forever.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote