Thread: Winni by Air
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #16
skprbob

Default conducting

Back in the late 60s-early 70s, my years as a counsellor at Camp Idlewild, I did not like being in camp on opening or closing day. The result was myself and two other staff members did "conducting" duties. We would travel to NYC the day before and went out to the airports to meet campers flying from various (usually far-off) places and get them onto the overnight charter buses up to camp. We would next fly to Boston and repeat the job, and come back to camp on the bus with the campers. Occasionally, this involved a flight between Laconia and Boston on what was then Winnipesaukee Aviation. We soon discovered that it was the only airline that was always on time, handled unaccompanied minors without batting an eye, and dealt safely and creatively with weather issues in order to stay on time. They earned our affectionate nickname of "Pterodactyl Airlines". They must have enjoyed that - I overheard a funny background conversation on the phone the following year between a supervisor and a ticket agent using that name!
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote