View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #12
Bear Guy

Midnight fireworks is a family tradition, interrupted only by having small children.
I won't repeat the wise cautions on boating at night, but instead share insights from my experiences. I like to get with a few hundred feet of the beach swim line to watch the display; it can feel like it's right overhead. Maybe just luck, but never had an issue with ashes. If you have the time before, sending a "runner" up the boardwalk to fetch fried doughs is tasty, but don't count on a place to tie up.
While anchored, the MP have asked to leave both white (anchor) and red/green nav. lights on, to help improve visibility.
I will repeat the suggestions to linger after the display, and let the yahoos clear the area first. We always planned on a 6 mph ride out to Eagle, before traffic clears. I feel Weirs has the least bottleneck effect of the major firework displays; the other bays force boater together for longer, whereas the Weirs has several main routes of dispersion. Note MP may sit and use their flashing blues to identify channel or marker.
Consider the weather; it can be cool at midnight, especially exposed at 25 mph.
Should be late enough not to worry about mosquitoes; those will be a bother for dusk displays.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Guy For This Useful Post: