View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
ursa minor

Rattletrap, no disrespect meant here in any way. Unless you are both 100% familiar with the Weirs and navigating back to your slip from there without needing a chart AND have a fair amount of nighttime experience, I'd really recommend against it.

What I've seen of these type of events over the years is a lot of "me first" behavior and a lot of company heading out at the same time. Running at night is much much different than daytime and a skill that takes time and patience to develop. Imagine a bunch of people that are neither patient or experienced all heading home at the same time and take it from there. Oh and there will be a few that don't have proper running lights...

I know I'm being a worst case scenario "Debby Downer" here but I've dealt with everything from other boaters who think having their "headlights" on is OK (Only supposed to use those close to the dock) or last summer a completely unlit pontoon boat crossing my path running at 30+ mph. Thank God for moonlight lighting his up his wake, both myself and my wife saw him at the same time. I have well over 30 years experience running at night and was horrified with what could have happened. ( He was seeing my port / red light the whole way for the record and was well lit by my spot light once we saw him...)

Seriously, if you're new to running at night consider some short trips to familiar places to work up to longer runs. The traffic right after the fireworks could be more than you want to deal with.