Thread: Chainsaws ?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
If you're going to cut a 20" tree then you should have a saw at least 20" if not bigger.
Edit: get the biggest bar reasonable.

Original diatribe: If felling, the front wedge and back cut only need to be 1/3 the depth of the tree, so a 16" works fine.

If bucking, most people do 1/2 then flip to finish, so they're not burying the bar in the ground. A little maneuvering from front to back at the beginning of the cut easily allows a 16" bar.

OP: this is a whole can of worms, but there are two options: a "homeowner" or "pro" saw. In either case, get the 16" (or, preferably, 18").

Homeowner options: Stihl MS251 or Echo/Husqvarna equivalent.

Pro option: Stihl MS261 or Husqvarna equivalent (Echo doesn't really make a "pro" version—they're all landscape quality).

Which you buy depends a lot on how much, how often, and how long you'll use it. I process wood for a couple weeks once a year once I have lined up enough to scrounge. I burn ~2 cords/year and have never paid for wood.

I bought a Stihl MS361 with an 18" bar a decade ago that is the perfect machine—starts every time, tons of power, and perfect size bar makes whatever I do efficient.

A couple thoughts: a higher power: weight ratio will make the work less difficult and more efficient, making it safer. Accidents happen when getting tired or cutting corners.

A chainsaw is one of the tools that is worth paying more for—if short-term, you'll make your money back selling it, if long-term, it'll be reliable.

Use canned fuel without ethanol. For the extra cost, you won't have to worry about lines drying out or seals swelling.

Wear chaps, steel-toe boots, eye and ear protection, and reliably grippy gloves.

Godspeed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by thinkxingu; 04-05-2021 at 04:57 AM.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links