View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #182
Pricestavern

Default Y2k

I gauze into my crystal ball and see...

Thousands of American citizens dead but not millions. People look at the final numbers and say, "See - it was a hoax. Not nearly as many people died. It wasn't the catastrophe predicted. Fake news."

It will remind me of Y2K and how, after tens of thousands of IT workers spend millions of hours combing thru code and fixing problems in the couple of years leading up to 2000, not much went wrong and people looked back and said, "See! It was much ado about nothing." The efforts and preparations lost to them in the moments after that midnight.

It will be because of the self-quarantines, the social distancing, the closures of social gathering places and places of business that 3.2 million people did not ultimately die. But cause and effect can be intangible things that only look at the moment.

It is a bad foreboding for the future should a truly terrible virus comes along, something akin to Ebola but spreads farther, and people will look back at covid-19 and say, "See! Another hoax." The lessons will having not been learned and we dither...

Last edited by Pricestavern; 03-29-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Punctuation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post: