View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #151
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
It's really easy to knock people down by saying "wrong!" "FAKE NEWS!" "jerk!" but if anyone wants to engage in a constructive debate, please bring some facts to the discussion.

Hold this against me, and I'm sure someone will, but I am not an expert. I admit I am not an expert. All I am doing is reading, digesting, and validating facts and data from multiple primary and secondary sources. If these sources turn out to be wrong, or inaccurate, or my interpretation is flawed, but all means offer alternatives. I will spin on a ****ing dime if they are better than the sources I'm using because my thoughts on this are not fixed and tribal.

So far the "alternative evidence" produced is:
  • An OANN article (proven to be misleading at best, lies at worst)
  • A quote from Dr Deborah Birx (asserted that she is being misleading by the author of the data she quotes)
  • Assertions that "we just don't know" (which we all understand we don't know it all, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything)
  • A conservative blog (opinions)
  • Incomparable figures from driving and cancer deaths
I've had a constructive debate. I've argued the raw numbers and our ability as a society to tolerate other much worse risks. You chose to ignore the FACTS I propose. And only after you labeled my opinion as abhorrent and let's be real me as abhorrent did I call you a jerk.

I'm sorry, but I have a healthy skepticism to follow the advice of a federal employee since 1984, who has a vested interest in creating a crisis. (Don't think for a second National Institute of Health's funding won't skyrocket because of this so-called crisis.) These are the same people that are telling us that climate change is an existential threat. These are the same people who want to release CRIMINALS from prisons and jails with absolutely no job prospects. (What could go wrong.)

Don't think for a second that a result of this shut down could bring about lawless behavior. Looting in the inner cities is certainly one likely outcome, which will result in an even more public distain of our law enforcement officers. There is more of a likelihood of this happening than the 3,600,000 deaths you referenced before.

I have never stated that the Chinese coronavirus is not real. It is. How come it had to be an all-or-nothing approach? Wouldn't the smarter approach to encourage safe behavior while enable Americans to earn a living. Those like my parents have to be careful, living their lives as the do now -- only going out to obtain food and necessities, while the rest of us, who are relatively young and healthy can continue our lives but with a level of cautiousness.

I can debate this all day long. However, I have work to do and should probably focus on that.