View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 10:29 PM   #200
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I thought, in order to get a conceal carry permit (so you could go to other states) you had to get a sign off from the local PD. In most towns in NH, the PD knows you, or can learn a lot with 2-3 phone calls. That part of the system works, in my mind.
RE: "the PD knows you, or can learn a lot with 2-3 phone calls"

Thats not part of any official background check and not legitimate grounds for denial of a CC license. It might have been how old-school LE operated, but its not any part of modern LE procedures for concealed carry licensing.

The FBI NICS check is the key basis for most concealed carry permits and it only contains mental health data for people who are already in some federal database, such as convicted felons maybe some VA patients, few others, but not the majority of people.

Your mental health data kept by your health care provider is protected against disclosure by HIPAA rules, and that medical and mental health information is very strictly protected against disclosure.

That has been and ongoing and very serious debate in congress for a while. The firearms pre-purchase and concealed carry background check does very little good without mandatory reporting of mental health problems, and at the same time that is possibly an individuals most sensitive personal information.

On the one side, many fear that disclosure of mental health data will keep far too many from getting the treatment they need due to fear of the information going into some national database and then being used against them for all kinds of reasons.

And on the other side some feel it is critical for law enforcement to have access to such data to protect the public.

At the moment its a no win situation and seemingly deadlocked.

I offer no comment about the matter except that it is a challenging matter.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote