View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #186
KayakinKid

Well, this has certainly been an interesting thread. And to think that at certain times in history, open carrying of a weapon meant one was usually seen as one of the good guys, and those that carried concealed were looked at with suspicion. My, how times have changed.

People open carry for different reasons. Are there the few that do it to show off in some way? Sure, but that usually wears off quickly. The show offs don't/won't invest money into a quality holster and belt, and soon become tired of having to pull their pants up all the time because the weight of the gun keeps pulling their belt and pants down.

From my own experience, there are some days where I just don't feel like having to dress around my gun. If it's a hot summer day, having to throw on an extra layer of clothing just to conceal carry my handgun, and be uncomfortable while doing it, doesn't make for an enjoyable day. While I don't make it a habit of open carrying, it does happen on occasion. Usually when I've gone to the range, or I'm on my way back from an all day class at the Sig Sauer Academy, and I stop to grab some dinner on the way home. I don't give two hoots about impressing anyone. It's just another day and I'm minding my own business, getting things done.

Depending on how one carries may mean additional expenses in the wardrobe department. Inside the waist band or appendix carry means buying pants that are a size or two larger. Carrying outside the waistband or in a shoulder holster means buying shirts that are larger in order to conceal properly. Not all people have the disposable income necessary to have separate wardrobes for carry and non-carry days.

If one does choose to open carry, does that entail a change in behavior? Absolutely. One who open carries should be even more attentive than usual to the environment and people around them while doing so, and should also use a quality retention holster.

No matter a persons gender, color, income, or place in society, everyone has the right to have the means to protect themselves. Criminals don't make appointments, they don't abide by the law, and they certainly don't give a hoot about gun-free zone signs. That no guns sign that makes some comfortable is merely an invitation for the criminal. It tells them that there is likely no one there to resist them and their criminal behavior. It does more to embolden the criminal than deter them. A false sense of security is no security at all. That openly armed individual that some look down upon may be the very one that risks their own life to protect that person, should a violent criminal decide that that person is going to be their next target.

If you see someone openly carrying, don't just look at the gun, look at the person. Look at their appearance, their clothing, their demeanor. A clean cut person who appears to be calm and confident, with a decent belt and holster, I wouldn't give them a second glance. The unkempt person with the nervous look about him and with a cheap belt and holster, yeah, I'm going to pay attention to him for a bit. It doesn't mean they're a bad person. For all I know, they're new to carrying, and could use some helpful advice. If that's the case, good on them for choosing to take responsibility for their own safety, and not expecting someone else to do it for them.

Food for thought; would you rather the person leave the handgun in their car so that you would feel more at ease in the store, knowing that it might be stolen out of the vehicle? Or would you rather they have it on their person in the store, openly, and under their control?
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KayakinKid For This Useful Post: