View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #184
XCR-700

I’v been thinking about this whole matter and reflecting on my own thoughts/concerns about seeing people practicing open carry, and I must say upon reflection that I think open carry might actually be better that concealed carry in some/many situations.

The first question I considered is why exactly is it a bad thing to be showy with guns? We accept it from many people all the time. For example; in their very non-classic/traditional clothing, in their radical blue and pink and orange hair colors, in their sometimes shocking all over body tattoos, in their extreme and sometime repulsive piercings, ETC Etc etc. And we eventually grow to accept them all as an expression of their personality. We may not like it, but we tolerate it because we realize we are not harmed by it.

Next why is it a bad thing to want to intimidate others? Again, many do it all the time with their openly aggressive behavior including; loud and offensive language and comments made in public, their physically imposing behavior often invading ones personal space, in their sometimes disturbing dress, in their swagger intended to be intimidating. Some of this I would attribute to simple bad behavior that I seriously dislike, but we still accept it. If however the intent to intimidate works on others who are behaving badly shouldn’t they just cancel each other out. So for example if FLL was thinking he should make a public spectacle and tell someone off for openly carrying, but then decides this is not the best option because he is intimidated, isn’t that a win for everyone??? And if the target audience is in fact someone who is thinking they might do something grossly inappropriate or illegal, and seeing someone openly carrying a gun stops them, then shouldn’t we actually be thanking these people for having the courage to make such a public statement that honest citizens will not allow themselves to be assaulted or robbed! Yup makes sense to me!

And finally (for me) forget about seeing someone with a 9mm semi-auto pocket pistol on their belt, in todays world that’s as about as intimidating as seeing someone 30 years ago with a knife on their belt in a case, but if “I” saw someone with a western gun belt and a substantial revolver sashaying into Market Basket I would likely think that’s kinda odd and maybe be a bit concerning, but then if I stopped for a moment I would realize they are doing no harm to me. And maybe, just maybe (and if I thought it was a good looking gun-belt and pistol like a nickel plated Colt with engraving and beautiful fire-blue hardware and classy grips) and hopefully I would be reasonable enough to go up to that person and complement them on their equipment. Well Hopefully,,,

The only time I can see being concerned about firearms in public other than seeing them actually being used in a crime (and I will be the first say I would be concerned and again hopefully I would speak up and voice that concern) is if I saw someone handling a gun in a very populated public place. Its one thing to have a gun safely holstered and completely another to be handling it. I think it would be unacceptable to be changing mags, racking a slide, rotating a cylinder, virtually anything that involves handling a gun in a populated place. And thats all assuming it was still always pointed in a very safe direction. It would be totally unacceptable to be handling a gun and have it pointing at anyone.

Other than that, I really think this is all nonsense and drama for drama sake.
You are all entitled to your opinions, thats mine. Embrace it or loathe it, I’m just being honest, and again this is from someone who never carrys openly and probably never will.

ATB
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote