View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #176
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Open carry, which used to be by people that may not want the bother of the permit process, really is to let others know that you are armed. Concealed carry, done properly, is hardly ever noticed. Customer and clerks are not going to react to you, because they don't have any idea.
Not necessarily.

I'm sure there are those that want to carry open and as such want everyone to know. I don't understand this way of thinking and it really begs the question if that is your only reasoning for doing so what's the point? Whatever it is IMHO it's silly. Then again there are plenty who choose to make silly public statements and they have the right to.

I'm sure there is a percentage of gun owners that simply don't want to go through the permitting process because it is a hassle. I happen to be one of them. At one point I looked into getting a CCW and bagged that idea as I simply had no real desire to carry anyways but thought it would be nice to have should I want to travel to a state where having one doubles as a permit to possess. NH does not have a requirement for a CCW anymore to carry concealed. Therefore at least in this state to OC is a choice.

Getting a CCW (concealed carry) permit is not a guarantee, you can't just get one depending on where you are. You will often time hear the language "may issue" versus "shall issue". The distinction is really important to note. "Shall issue" means simply a CCW must be issued to a requestor provided they meet the requirements. "May issue" leaves the issuance at the desecration of the issuing authority, typically the local police chief. There are places where the police chief will not issue period even though they could under the letter of the law. Since it is by their desecration, if they so choose to issue none that is their prerogative to do so even if the requesting person is a saint and has a valid reason for asking for one. In those cases OC is the only option. MA is a great example of this. It is a "May issue" state and some municipalities will not issue permits to carry concealed. Of course they will never put that in writing, instead just deny all requests without reason.

Again I don't defend OC, at least not in public urban places or when out and about conducting everyday business. I don't mind it and it doesn't bother me I just feel it is unnecessary to do so.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote