View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #15
Lakegeezer

Default I don't see the hypocrisy in the outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
The hypocrisy here is stunning...
Where is the outrage for the “numbers” of “real people” that die every day of a hundred other causes including whatever other “flu” is killing them? ....
I don't see stunning hypocrisy. There is a outrage and action for many of the illnesses that kill people at a lower run-rate. This one just happened to be off the radar until well into the first quarter of 2020.

On March 17'th, Covus-19 deaths surpassed terrorism deaths as of the same date. Plenty of outrage and costs on to reduce that one. On March 24'th, it surpassed poisonings and on March 28'th, more than fire and hepatitis. By April 11, more people died from Covid-19 than by homicide. We have lots of laws and outrage about that.

Not until April 25'th did Covid-19 outpace malaria. So, six weeks from off the radar to greater than many death causes that do upset people. That is why people are taking notice. That is why there is well deserved outrage and attempts to control it. No other cause of death this year has gained so much over other well established causes. So, how can outrage be considered hypocrisy?

There is an animated graphic that I found interesting, which shows the global deaths by a selection of causes throughout the year to June 1. It adds perspective. Auto accidents, heart issues and cancer aren't on this list. I wish they were, but lots of efforts have gone into those causes along with those listed. Click here to view it.

In the lakes region, we are lucky. While there is no similar graphic broken down to NH, but I think we all know that our situation doesn't match other areas of the country, or the world, yet. We could probably use a bit more local outrage about deaths due to drugs and alcohol.
Attached Images