View Single Post
Old 06-25-2023, 10:17 PM   #457
chasedawg

Default close call today with seaplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I continue to follow this thread although at times I wonder why...... Everyone is concerned over a runway being established in 19 mile bay.... weather that happens or not, it doesn't prevent sea planes from landing there..... Just like there is nothing that prevents them from landing on mirror lake.....

I will not say that EPIC handled things correctly... but at the end of the day, way more is being made of this then should be. Currently there is nothing that stops sea planes from landing in 19 mile bay and tying up at the pier. Getting the Runway designation, only means it will be marked on Maps and have an official designation, with the FAA....

That people where upset about the potential for a Sea-Plane base I get.... but for godness sake .... COMPRIMISE, let the runway designation go through....
It was a close call.... We were coming out of Pier 19 marina today when a seaplane took off right in front of us. We had to turn to avoid him other wise we would have been coming across in front of him. He was not in our danger zone but he certainly was in our danger zone. He was in a stand by encounter situation. He didn't have any regard for the marine rules of the road. He is suppose to have a boating license because seaplanes what I have been told must obey boating regulations just like a boat. As he went by us you could tell he was looking up to take off. There was no way he could see what was in front of him. Two paddle boarders had to drop off their boards otherwise they too were in a potential run over by a seaplane.

What would you do in this situation? Wait till the seaplane returned to where he is picking up paying passengers to tell him what happened to you? Or just report the incident to marine patrol or even the FAA?
Just curious what would be the appropriate reporting agency?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post: