Thread: New to Boating
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #18
MikeF-NH

I know you are mostly asking questions and getting answers about the specific boat you are shopping for BUT some of the other considerations are important too.

As posted above West Alton Marina is a GREAT place to consider for overnighting for the season. I only launch there (don't rent a slip) but the community of gazebos there looks very fun, the marina is well protected and in a great area, it has easy access from 93, grocery shopping is not far away in Alton or Laconia, outlet shopping in Tilton and "chain store" shopping in Laconia is convenient, the onsite facilities (laundry, toilets, showers) are clean and modern and the staff is friendly and professional. The West Alton sand bar is right there an the entrance to the marina also. Access to other major points on the lake (Weirs, Wolfboro, Alton Bay) does require a bit of a boat ride across sections of The Broads which can be intimidating when its stormy/windy though.

Since you are new to boating you will probably want to enroll in a Boaters Safety class asap in have someone else in your family go with you (so you aren't the only qualified boater). The lake is a very dangerous place with several unexpected offshore shoals. Pick up a bizer map and understand where these hazards are (for instance when going to Weirs past the Witches). Personally, I use both the bizer map (when planning my route) AND a Navionics chip for my Lowrance GPS on my fish finder. The Navionics ship gives great real time insight on harzardous areas you are approaching.

You have probably considered all this above but it never hurts to be reminded. Enjoy the Lake....IF this ice ever begins to melt.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote