View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 11:40 PM   #19
geordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippermark View Post
I'm familiar with the LADD program but don't fully understand PIA. I know ADS-B receivers will still pick up the signal, but the transmitted code is temporary, so there's no way to know what plane it really belongs to, right? Am I understanding that correctly?
Right, PIA allows them to get temporary IDs that aren't associated with them. But the military isn't doing that. I don't know what controls they have on a military ADS-B transceiver. What I see is that sometimes you can see the autopilot mode and a lot of other live data. Other times you only get basic information.

LADD only works when the FAA is the source, if you look at ADS-B data that was captured by random people with cheap receivers and an Internet connection you bypass the FAA entirely.

So LADD is useless. Anyone who really wanted to could probably spot the privacy ICAO address too, because it wouldn't come back to a credible aircraft history. The only time they'd provide real uncertainty would be when several aircraft on the PIA program were in the same place at the same time. Musk has been tracked despite his best efforts.
geordie is offline   Reply With Quote