View Single Post
Old 08-03-2023, 09:45 AM   #19
Redbarn

Again I don't care about the green stuff but...
Most of the mining would take place even without electric cars and boats. However despite what people would have you believe lithium for example is actually very abundant even here in the USA and companies are working on better extraction methods. This would be great for USA gdp. Even with that said people read Facebook posts about mining like it requires x amount of pounds of over burden removed etc to make one pound of lithium. I always laugh because moving that many tons of dirt for mining equipment is litterly nothing. I was a dirt dummy a long time ago 😂

With all that said eventually mining for these materials will become very limited. The batteries are essential pure ore. After they hit there useable life as a car battery they can be used in energy storage and then recycled. They are nearly 100% recyclable contrary to Facebook posts. What would you rather go mining out of dirt or have already refined ore sitting in a nice box for you. The metals don't go bad they are all still in there. Eventually end of life batterys will be big business and trade like a commodity.

Last edited by Redbarn; 08-03-2023 at 10:18 AM.