View Single Post
Old 12-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
On Saturday, a Sanbornton house fire was started by lithium batteries. It's enough to make you think twice about having these in your home.

A statement from the fire department, “this phenomenon is known as a 'Thermal Runaway', which is one of the primary risks related to Lithium-ion Batteries.”

According to the statement, the roof of the garage collapsed within two minutes of arrival of the first fire companies. “This we believe is due to the failure of the roof truss system based on the fire load and the weight of the 24 solar panels on the south facing side of the garage roof,” wrote Deputy Chief Scott Taylor.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...ticle-nav-next

Lithium batteries seem to be the common factor in many fires. One third of all car fires in the US are in electric cars although they make up a much smaller percentage of the total number of cars on the road. Hurricane Ian's floodwaters caused at least 11 electric vehicles in Florida to catch fire.

Although electric vehicles continue to improve, I am not sure I would want one in my garage.
Hopefully they can bring the price of solid state batteries down to where they can compete with Lithium Ion batteries. They are much safer, much more dependable, and we won't have to depend on lithium from China.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote