View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 12:55 PM   #4
Steveo

Default Be careful BBS

Be careful BBS with the mooring hookup you show in your diagram. I would not suggest you hook your mooring line to the upper eyelet of the mooring ball. What ends up happening often is the rod that runs from the upper eyelet, through the ball, to the lower eyelet can corrode (and eventually break) without you knowing it because it is hidden inside the ball. My suggestion is to hook up your mooring line and the line going down to your anchor together and also to the lower eyelet. In this way the eyelet rod is not taking any of the strain of the lines. You are simply using the mooring ball as a "pickup" for the mooring line.

Also in your diagram you show a chain then a line (rope) running up to the mooring ball. I would also suggest you use only chain underwater to your ball. You will still need a swivel, just hook it to the anchor end. You can run rope from your ball to your boat but use only a mooring rope that has the metal-trimmed eyelets.

Just a couple of suggested from 15 years experience of corroded metal and worn out lines and adrift boats.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote