Thread: Marina Battery
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 06:51 AM   #31
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Interesting about 2018. I have the 1-both-2 off combiner with no ACR on board. Originally #1 was the starter & #2 was the deep cycle. #2 is connected independent of the 1-2 switch to the bilge switch and the Mercathode. Mercathode runs all the time, thus draining the #2 battery.

Because the batteries were different, the starter will fully charge first and the generator will continue to charge the deep cycle thus shortening the life span of the starter battery. In fact one year, the positive battery post on the starter actually fried! Lucky it did not catch fire. So I would have it charged on both for about 15 minutes and switch to 2 to fully charge the deep cycle.

When I heard of dual-purpose batteries, I switched both to dual purpose and leave the combiner switch to both at all times. Seems the batteries last longer and charge evenly.

If you have the Mercathode option, you should turn it off if you valet.
The problem with leaving the switch on "both" all the time is when you have a problem, like a short circuit, or anything that kills the battery, you have killed both batteries. That eliminates the option of switching batteries when one is dead.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post: