Thread: Marina Battery
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 09:27 AM   #15
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
I was running yellows. Think I tried a red top once as well with the same outcome. They may have changed some too in the more recent years, this was going back probably 10+ years ago before kids, when I could go race my car for entire weekends at a time without my wife sending out the hit team on me.....lol
Same experience! and similar time frame using the Optimas, I was not at all impressed with them. Always had good long reliable service out of Interstate, Exide, and Diehard batterys over the years. This is the 3rd vehicle where I have used and AGM and not once have I gotten anything extra out of them for the much greater expense. Possibly my usage just doesnt fit the model for these batterys.

Was working on the boat yesterday, and figured out one battery has recovered pretty well, the other will not start the boat but will run it at idle so long as you dont use any high current electrical devices. As soon as you touch the power trim for example, it shuts the engine down. Switch to both batterys and it restarts and you can do anything you want on both batteries.

So my plan is to replace the weaker of the two batteries now, and at the beginning of next season I'll replace the other one.

Shopping to a classic lead/acid Marine battery now. Group 31 are a bit harder to find. Stopper at BJ's in Tilton and Manchester on the way home last night and Bass Pro Shop and no luck except for a $1000.00 super fancy bass boat battery at Bass Pro,,, Yup/nope, not interested in that if they promised it would last as long as the boat!

Might try to recover the weak battery at home on the BatteryMinder "5 stage" desulfater - charger they claim miracles,,, In truth its a really good charger, but we will see if it can in fact bring back a weak battery ;-)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote