View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #45
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I 100% agree with Dan in many people just don't realize how close 150' is. As I hunter I KNOW Dan knows because a 30 yard shot in the woods and darn close and most hunters in NH are aware of that distance. 150 is only 30 yards...I have a one yard pace (which is two steps by the way). If you take 30 paces (60 steps) I think many would be shocked how close that is and maybe more shocked how many boats they previously thought were inside that distance are actually twice that distance.

Having said that, I know where I am comfortable when on plane and its more like 200-300 feet...mostly because I drive defensively and assume the OTHER guys is going to make a mistake. Sometimes heavy traffic gets me closer to 150 and I usually slow down until I'm 100% sure the other guy sees me and has committed his course. Anytime there is doubt, I come off plane, smile and wave. That said, there are also many times when I'm suprised how unattentive or unconcerned other boaters are in regards to their course in relation to my or other boats in the area. I do very much prefer (and enjoy) being on the lake when the traffic is light or non-existant.
I agree with all of your points (and Dan's) but 150 feet equals 50 yards.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote