Thread: Gas Furnace
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2023, 10:02 PM   #4
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
For information purposes.
Telephone your propane provider and ask what brand or brands that they sell (if any). That is a good start. You could obtain a price from them as a guide.

Does your current one exhaust go up chimney or out side of house?

Most common are 80% efficiency up to 92/94%.
One is regular efficiency the other is high efficiency.
Then there is single stage and dual stage.

And opinions will be all over the place. Everyone will/may state that theirs is the best.

As I stated in another post.
When I built my garage. I put in a 100,000 BTU propane single stage regular efficient furnace. Happened to be a Goodman brand. Has worked fine for 22 years. I did have a contractor account. 22 years ago, when I telephoned the furnace/duct company - the price quoted me was $1,250.00. When I stated that I had a contractor account with furnace/duct company - the price dropped to $452.00. This just shows some of the price/costs that surround all construction endeavors.

My requirement was that a funace would turn on and turn off. Without a multitude of sensors. I avoided a furnace that had sensors that checked the humidity, barametric pressure, elevation, phases of the moon, seismic activity, etc. I avoided those that had red/green blinking lights, LED screens, LCD screen, with numbers that only a technician could look up, sequential beeping sounds, etc.

Might be a good idea to choose a brand name that has been around for quite sometime. Something that has readily available parts and that any technician can fix if ever needed.
Thanks for your feedback Professor !
FYI, my gas furnace vents out side of house and NOT a chimney.

Current gas furnace is a Trane XL 90 (60,000 BTU), way under-powered for my size home to begin with, then the last owner finished the basement, with another bedroom bath and living area. We shut heat off in basement, as we don't utilize during the winter. I've been told I should have a furnace with at least 100k BTU if not more.....

Anyway, think I'll start with reaching out to Eastern Propane for a quote, at least I'll know the 'high side' of replacement.

Thanks again !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote