View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 06:12 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,524 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Both bills will only cost waterfront homes money. A waterfront homeowner can be declared guilty without proof if a person in a kayak believes you disturbed your shoreline. The other bill requires waterfront property owners to have their septic system evaluated and repaired before a sale can be completed. Something others home are not subject too.
Say no to both bills
Just got off the phone with my Rep. who is on the RR & D committee. These are issues that continue year after year. Agreed that if you plan to buy a shorefront property and build new, preventing the sale is counter-productive. A shorefront property near me sold last year for $875000. No septic at all, still on an outhouse. No problem. A friend on a small lake had a neighbor's septic fail. Not shorefront, but 200'-300' set back, on the other side of the circumferential road. The road really doesn't slow water runoff the way better vegetation would. Increasing the set back jurisdiction may have some merit, but there should be some consideration of vegetation, slopes and soil types, as those can be significant factors in water and runoff flow.

Wake boats: If there is concern in some areas about wake boats causing erosion damage, then DES should have some say in the regulatory process. That is not an area of expertise for MP. and DOS. (I'm generally opposed to the petition system for adding new regulations.)
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: