View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
XCR-700

Cool

Hummm, generally I’m NOT a supporter of more Government intervention and additional rules and requirements, but in this case I will make an exception only because it has been my observation that boating as a recreational pastime has grown significantly in recent years.

And while I don’t believe that in and of itself is sufficient to warrant this requirement, I do believe the quality of the new boaters skills and their basic knowledge of powerboat operation (or more correctly lack of) does warrant some intervention/action.

Arguable the state could do a better job with the rules regarding the certificate requirements and process, they are inconsistent and not well thought out at best.

I seems odd to me that if you are a local you must go to a proctored test, but if you are from out of state then you can use your own states certificate which may not necessarily be equivalent in its training and testing requirements. Also the idea that the Coast Guard classes are not sufficient/appropriate but other states certificates are seems like an problem to me.

One would think it reasonable to continue to recognize other states certificates and also recognize the Coast Guard certificate (as we do with auto drivers licenses) as well as to drop the proctored test requirement as it is not required elsewhere. Then you would have a process that is fair and equal.

But then this is based my concept that the goal is to make sure all powerboat operators have a basic knowledge of marine safety rules. If the goal is something other than that or includes more, then my argument is out the window,,,

So I say take a class, take an exam, get your certificate (from anywhere) and be a better boater and be done with it. You will have peace of mind knowing your legal and you may pick up a tid-bit or two of useful knowledge along the way.

Well that’s one boaters opinion.

GH
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote