Thread: Fee for Kayaks
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
When it comes to the milfoil fee, wouldn't it make more sense to add a milfoil fee sticker to every boat trailer?

To me, it does not make more sense to put the fee on trailers. There is already a milfoil fee in the boat sticker, so raising that fee keeps the existing methods, budgets and transfers, rather than creating a new system. What would be the advantage of putting it on the trailer anyway? Aren't there more boats than trailers?

While I understand the desire to have the state spend less money, I also believe that we are not coming close to funding the preservation or restoration of our environment. The economy in NH depends on outdoor recreation, so we can't shut down development and use of our forests and water resources, we should not be shortsighted in maintaining them. There are many volunteers willing to help, but the programs that use volunteers needs taxpayer funding.

The right discussion to have is what is really required, what is effective and how to be more efficient, more so than to say "stop spending". Another interesting discussion would be about who should spend the money. DES, F&G and Dept of Safety are all part of the solution.