View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #22
Senter Cove Guy

Default More Information On The Jetty

Grant and I dove "The Jetty" last Saturday. Thanks to Diver1111, we were able to find the jetty fairly easily. We were lucky enough to find 2 intact clay pigeons. I'm sure if we looked longer we'd have found more. See the pictures below. Notice that they have different markings than the clay pigeon found by Diver1111. I have an inquiry out to the folks at Remington to see if they can help pinpoint the era of the pigeons.

Prior to diving, I had done a little more research and found the following by visiting the Wolfeboro Chamber Of Commerce in the Wolfeboro train station. They have 3 books on the history of Wolfeborough. By searching the index for Sewall Road, I found the following information. I was also able to find the same information on the internet:

HISTORY OF WOLFEBOROUGH Page 521

The development of the Sewall-Rogers lands on the northerly side of the bay within a decade has been remarkable. The land was purchased by Messrs. Charles F. Piper and George A. Carpenter, and is now practically covered with handsome summer residences. The pioneer in this movement was Colonel Edward B. Dickinson, of New York, who had visited Wolfeborough annually for several years and had become impressed with the advantages of the place as a permanent summer home. He purchased a lot of ten acres, with a water front of nearly six hundred feet. Here he erected in 1889 an attractive residence, "Ferncliffe," or thirteen rooms, with a wind-mill, bath-house, boat-house and several summer houses, about the grounds. A stone wharf, one hundred and forty feet long, affords ample dock facilities. The high standard fortunately set by Colonel Dickinson in the first house built on what is now Sewall road, has been to a good degree maintained by the numerous cottagers that have succeeded him.

Update (09/22/2009): My inquiry to Remington brought the following response:

The clay pigeon in picture 1 was manufactured between 1956 - 1975.
The clay pigeon in picture 2 was manufactured between 1938 - 1954.
The clay pigeon that Diver1111 found was manufactured between 1934 - 1938.

Also, there was an early design from 1928 - 1934 and a 1955 year design, both different than the above.
Attached Images

Last edited by Senter Cove Guy; 09-22-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Update information from Remington.
Senter Cove Guy is offline   Reply With Quote