View Single Post
Old 11-12-2023, 12:19 PM   #22
ApS

Arrow They'll Keep The Lights On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
To TheTimeTraveler and all others.....
Making this trip again soon, and thinking of stopping South of Wilkes-Barre first night, almost 400 miles and enough for first day with wife and Cat.
W.B. not my favorite place and tends to be a 'truckers' stop-over, that said looking for a 'safe' place to sleep for first night.

Was only thinking W.B. to stop as next possible place would be Hershey PA and that may be pushing it for first day. I'm towing a small U-HAUL type trailer, and looking for hotels/Motels recommendations where I can park trailer easily for the night, and again a SAFE place. Not paranoid just cautious.......
There's not much south of Wilkes-Barre. Hersey fills up on car show days. My Wilkes-Barre stay is Motel-6 at the top end of Schecter Street. There are choices of rooms with microwave/refrigerator--or no frills--excepting a big TV. It's been a nice first-day stopover for many years. Rates, though, can fluctuate. I asked why I'm paying $100 for the night, when on my way north just months ago, I paid $75.

Answer: "It's Friday".

If you pick the side overlooking Wilkes-Barre proper, you can readily view where you've parked your You-Haul trailer. The motel almost has a castle-like presence. It's quiet at the top of their hilltop motel, but enforcement of loud exhausts elsewhere doesn'’t exist. The rest of the city appears totally unplanned and decrepit. I certainly wouldn't live there.

Once off the Interstate, getting there can be frustrating. Wilkes-Barre is like Boston, where directional signs would be a Godsend! If lost, search for Coal Street, which crosses the city and links to Schecter.

The Interstate is a short drive away--with three exits. The southernmost exit has all the morning fuel- and food-stops you'd want as you continue driving south towards Hilton Head.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: