View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #69
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Protective Dog With Wandering Dogs

There have not been too many dogs wandering through from other parts of the island. The first time for both was last year, which really has me concerned. Mac has become territorial and protective against other dogs, which is very worrisome for me. It wasn’t always this way. He was socialized when younger and we could take him everywhere, even to The Weirs during bike week.

Years ago at one of our sons baseball games, a wandering dog became interested in Mac and stuck his nose to his butt and just stayed there sniffing. The other dog did not heed the growling and didn’t back off. This dog was big and I was afraid to get too close to it. I lead Mac away, but the dog stayed stuck. I now regret not taking the risk, but still think the outcome could have been much worse. Ever since this event Mac goes all Cujo on other dogs. Being a 16-pound dog I fear he isn’t going to win a fight against a bigger one. My vet tells me that at age 8 ½ he is what he is and to keep him away from others, which we do. Wandering dogs into our yard could be catastrophic for my little puppers. Even on a leash he could get killed.

Mac was kenneled last November. I warned them that he was aggressive to others. When I picked him up, the woman told me that he didn’t pay any mind to the other dogs. She is sure that he is just protective of his family and stomping grounds. Any ideas? We control where Mac goes, the wild card is a loose island dog.

Thanks!
RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote