View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #61
aopel

Default Dogs better than rude neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
In general I am not an animal fan. I think that if your dog barks for more than 5 minutes and your neighbors can hear it, it should be brought inside. If that doesn't work you should buy a bark collar.
We have one particular neighbor that seem to think an hour or two of loud barking is fine. When I have spoken to them they take offense and say that the dog is "just playing" One night after 11:00PM they came in in their boat and the dog barked for 20 minutes straight while they dropped the passengers at their dock and put the boat on it's mooring. I finally stepped out on the front deck and said "would you please do something about the dog" They responded "he's just happy to see us, go back in your house and watch TV"
So what is the next step? Call the police? Take matters in to my own hands? The neighbors don't seem to realize that the barking is unacceptable. They are well aware that we have a problem with it. This has been going on for two years. I refuse to let my peace and tranquility be taken away by rude neighbors. It looks like it is time for an ugly confrontation!
Dennis - you might try walking over to your neighbor's house, introducing yourself as you are new to the shore, and talking through possible solutions. Shouting from your deck - at a family returning from a nice dinner - is not an adult way to respond to a problem. Shouting from your deck IS an ugly confrontation. BTW - the dog was NOT barking for 20 minutes - it was the time it takes to motor into the dock b/c you were shouting as I was tying the boat up. The dog greets us when we come home. Get over it.

For others reading this, Dennis has shouted at me while I was swimming with my 2 year old daughter, then he threatened to kill my dog, and a year later he shouted from his deck late at might. Not once has he introduced himself, though I went and tried to welcome him to the shore as he bought the Fuller place a few years back and we have known all our neighbors for years and never once had a bad word with them. We have two kids, lots of friends and we love to enjoy the lake with swimming, laughing and yes, dogs that bark when we play. We do our best to limit the dogs barking but summertime fun is exciting and that's what happens when kids, dogs and families play at the lake.

Dennis has chosen to shout at us instead of getting to know his neighbors. We have been on Dockham Shore for 5 generations and never experienced anyone so rude. He continues to offer threats - put in writing above - instead of dialogue. My 81 year old mother invited Dennis to her 80th birthday party last summer and he didn't even have the decency to rsvp.

So Dennis, enough complaining on the forums about our dogs. Try coming to meet Jane and the rest of us and maybe we can work something out. Otherwise, save your pennies and buy enough land where you never have to hear anyone else enjoying the lake.

Dockham Shore is a special place with a lot of houses close by. We treat each other with respect and that means talking to each other, not shouting demands into the night. We hope you too can learn to love this special spot and value the community that has been here long before you moved into the Fuller homestead.
aopel is offline   Reply With Quote