View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #57
gravy boat

Default owner responsibility

As a dog owner (since May 07), I always pick up after our girl (unless off trail in the woods or in designated areas at rest stops). We are fortunate that she was well trained by her previous master(s) regarding barking. When told to hush, she typically will and if she continues we remove her from the situation/area.

At night she may bark a few times before finding her place and doing her business -- and I believe this may be her way of ensuring there are no predatory animals in the area that will attack while she is prone. The neighboors have sled dogs and they are quite loud....and persistent...many evenings. She will converse with them when outside, but if it's more than one or two minutes I will bring her inside. Our other neighboors have a German shepherd they keep in a pen and scold her when she barks....it breaks my heart as I never see them walking her or bringing her anywhere with them. Why have a dog if only to keep in chained or penned up? No wonder she's barking -- she has tons of pent up energy that needs to be released and has little socialization during the day.

If I know someone is not fond of dogs, I do my best to ensure that my dog stays away from the person. A leash solves it (for the dog, silly).

Like some folks said -- it is the owner's responsibilty to train their dogs, mind their dogs, protect their dogs and clean up after their dogs at all times. Dogs will be dogs. They bark, yhey poop when they feel the urge and aren't picky about where they leave their calling card. ;-)

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote