View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #56
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
...Dog ownership, like parenthood, is a responsibility.
When my next door neighbor on the other side of me moved in, they had a beautiful golden retreiver. But the dog was never leashed or kept in their yard. One night not long after they moved in, I was lighting off fireworks with other neighbors, and we had a great time. Everyone had gone home, and I was outside talking to another neighbor, and we heard a strange sound coming from his yard. We walked closer and realized it was splashing coming from his pool. We ran over to find the golden retreiver splashing like crazy trying to get out of the pool (inground pool, with only a ladder, no stairs). There were splashes all around the pool deck, indicating to me that the dog was desperately trying to get out. We got the exhausted dog out of the pool, and he ran home. When we pulled him out, he was almost dead weight, I think he was about 5 minutes away from giving up, if that. I am positive we saved Dillon's life that night.
Dillon lived a long life, and passed away about a year ago, at age 15. I just wish my neighbor (who I am very good friends with now) had done more to keep him in his own yard, instead of roaming the 'hood.