View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #51
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Funny I read all the posts and the one from Grant made me think of someones kid, not a dog like that. Dogs do things naturally. Bark, poop, play, howl, wail. Sometimes I think it is the kids, and yes I was one once, that need the leashes.

Keeping a dog outside on a run or chain creates great frustration in a dog and this is the how and why of barking in the yard. The dog most likely wants to be with it's owner. Yet the owner puts it outside thinking this is good for the dog and that it gets exercise this way. Not true. You need to walk your dog, head up, for at least 45 minutes twice a day. Running is preferred. Using different routes is preferred as well as to not "Bore" your dog. You will find your dog is more submissive and less "barkative" when it has been exercised. I used to train K9 dogs for police departments. There was a comment made as to a German Shepard mix as well. Home owners insurance companies can cancel your policy if they find out that you have a certain breed in your house. So be careful what you decide to bring home. Rotties, GS, Akita, Dalmations, Malamute, Dobermans, Chow Chow, Presa Canario's, Husky, Pit Bull American Staffordshire, to name most. There a re few comments here that do not bode well with me, in as far as what is proper or improper from the dogs behavioral stand point. Always remember it is never the dogs fault. So to strike a dog, no matter what it is doing is improper behavior on the humans standpoint. Unless a dog is corrected immediately for doing something wrong it is pointless. And the dog would have had to already learned that it was not the thing to do. If the dog was never taught to not approach people in an aggressive manner striking the dog will only enforce it's dislike of someone or something new. Sorry to rant a bit. But we have to remember who is actually at fault with bad dog behavior. I firmly believe a dog should NEVER be off leash, and do not NOT believe in retractable leashes. It teaches the dog no control, because the dog does believe or understand when the leash will be let out and at what time it should not be. Not sure if I worded that correctly, but the retractable leashes are another pointless tool in dog training. With proper training a dog should NEVER need a leash. But should always have one on. It teaches them limits.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote