View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
There IS a solution to dogs that run at large... Call the police. The first time the police show the owner will get a polite warning. If the dog continues to run free, call again.. and again. If you keep reporting it, and they keep breaking the law, they will end up losing the dog. Most people wake up and solve the problem before that happens.
Our neighbors two doors down had a dog that ran free. We were yelled at on several occasions by people driving by because the dog was in the street in front of our house. Unfortunately, one of the owners was a former dispatcher in the town, so calling the police was useless. I couldn't get down the street one day because the dog was in the middle of the road and wouldn't move. The person who I thought was the owner came down the driveway in her pick-up. I asked if it was her dog, just to make sure. The response was "Shut up...I'm trying to get him in the truck." My response is not fit for family viewing.

Eventually, that poor dog was hit by a truck. The driver never stopped, but our neighbor who lives between us and the owners saw it happen and took the dog to the vet, where it had to be put down.

Our Golden is very well behaved. He's not perfect, but I always considered his slip ups to be our fault and not his. And I don't expect owners, or parents for that matter, to get it right all the time...but I do like to see the effort.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote