View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #31
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I have to agree with Orion on this one. Mentally, as I was reading the complaints, I kept inserting "children" in place of "dogs" and "parents" in place of "owners." I can't tell you how many responses I started and discarded because I thought they weren't nice enough.

Thank you, Orion, for providing me with a relatively nice way to put my 2 cents in.
There you go Rose opening up an even BIGGER can of worms!

Now that you said it, one of my great life's missions has been to ensure that my children were never a nuisance to any adult. I swore to myself that I would be vigilant with my kids on how to behave in public and especially around adults. Having grown up in a strict and loving family my parents always stressed the importance of correct public behavior. We were good and therefore we were brought many nice places. If we were not good we were NOT brought any place. All too often parents do not follow through with the threats (I.E. If you don't behave I'm turning the car around and we are not getting Ice Cream.) Well I am happy to say it only took me a couple of times (turning around and NOT getting my kids Ice Cream) before they got the hint... Daddy it SERIOUS! Being a good parent, like being a good dog owner, requires just a little extra effort. The beauty of the whole thing is that all it requires is LOVE and ATTENTION. How hard is that. Bad parents just like bad owners claim to love their "children" but just do not put in the time. I've seen well loved dogs with caring owners put in the time and attention and the dogs are so much better for it.
The point you made is so well taken. Most people are oblivious to others in so many ways. Whether dogs or kids I am an constantly amazed at some parents handling of their kids! The attitude "oh they're just being kids/dogs." No "you're just being lazy!"
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote