View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
jeffk

I train my dogs to stay on my property and 99% of the time they do. When neighbors want the dogs to come over I tell them that once I allow them to go on their property I can't back off that permission. They have always said "OK" and the dogs extend their territory to the neighbors yard. Dogs use the outside as their bathroom and if they go on the neighbors property, so be it. That's part of the package that comes with having the dogs come over. I've never had a problem with this.

If I am walking the dogs and they poop on someone's yard I pick up after them. If they poop in a rough wooded area I don't.

If my dog barks excessively I bring it inside. This can be a breed specific thing. Some dogs are quiet, others are not. I think a dog that barks constantly is a nuisance and the owner should be told it's a problem. If they don't do something about it you can discuss it with the police although I'm not sure what they can do. I think most dogs bark because they are left outside. I have never understood why you get a dog and then leave it outside all the time.

If a dog is threatening people or other animal I believe the dog could be declared a nuisance and removed. I once had my dog attacked by two neighbors dogs well onto my property. I told them that if they didn't control their dogs, I would. I never had another problem. To be honest those dogs were Goldens which are VERY trainable. The owner had ruined the dogs. I have had a couple Goldens and people can't believe the stuff I have trained them to do. The breed is extremely eager to please it's owners.

I currently have an Akita, a rescue dog that my daughter got. The breed characteristics are to be guarded with strangers so she tends to bark a lot at the neighbors. She's a big dog at 90 pounds and she can be very scary just because of her size and configuration. She looks like a cross between a German Shepard and a bear with a massive head. When she first got in the house she growled at me for several months but now she is a big love. I have taken her to meet the neighbors and she is much better with them now although she still is cautious around them. The people on one side of us got a little dog, no more than 10 pounds. The Akita and their dog are inseparable buddies. A real Mutt and Jeff combination. The Akita is amazingly gentle with the little dog and he is a playfully aggressive companion chewing on her neck all the time. The Akita doesn't even notice he is doing it.

Anyway, I don't think you should let your dog become a nuisance but some people can be awfully picky as well.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote