View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little bear gal View Post
Thought I would open up this can of worms- how do you all feel about neighbors and dogs? What expectations should you have as a neighbor re: barking, behavior and picking up after your dog? In my area we have very opposite theories and I'd like to know what other people think.
WOW, Little bear gal, way to jump into the forum. Both feet first.

Just kidding with you. Welcome to the forum and glad you decided to post. You definitely opened up the can on this one. We had a golden at one time on Cow Island. For the most part he was well received wherever he went. I was the one that had an issue with him! He whined when he was tied up, he howled when he was left on the porch, he swam incessantly when he was outside roaming free. The major issue came when we had kids. He would wander off if we weren't paying enough attention to him. He would usually find the house that had the people that would throw the ball in the water for him. Unfortunately that would backfire sometimes as he would wander beyond those properties where he was "accepted." I have a neighbor that kept their feelings out in the open regarding the dog. It was helpful for me to know the boundaries. I would try to remain vigilant with regard to the dog on their property. It wasn't always easy, as the dog had a mind of his own. But at least there was never any veiled hostility. We always knew where each other stood. Best bet is to be honest with your neighbor with regard to your expectations regarding the dog. Sometimes though people get very sensitive about their dogs as they consider them a member of the family. Good Luck either way. I have been on both sides of the fence on this issue as I no longer have a dog and I have to deal with other dogs on the island. For the most part I am laid back about it but at the same time I am honest with the owners.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote