View Single Post
Old 04-15-2004, 08:39 PM   #24
madrasahs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS
Anyone with a small sailboat in this forum...we're wondering whether a 15 foot sloop-rigged daysailer (with keel) will be overwhelmed by all of the go-fast boats in the broads.
Generally, small sailboats are pretty tough -- even as small as 15-feet. Keep an eye on the weather.

Our harbormaster in Cadiz, Spain, allowed our dozen Snipe fleet (16-footers) out to race in some really strong winds. We weren't called back in even when the harbormaster realized that the hand on his anemometer had run twice around the dial. We were racing in gale-force winds!

I've forgotten who won the race. Both of my stainless-steel shrouds were unravelling, so I had to retire.

For The Broads, I'd suggest sails with orange and red on them. I posted a collision on this forum between a go-fast and a 24-foot Colgate class (which has a 30 feet of mast ) with jib and main raised. (Mid-day, bright-skies, light wind). Absolutely no excuse for the driver of the offshore.

Is your sailboat really a keeled, 15-foot, sloop-rigged daysailer? What class is it?
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote