View Single Post
Old 04-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #103
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default But then again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Sigh . . . alright, Sparky, if you say so!
But then again... A columnist John Harrigan does an article in about 6 or 8 newspapers in NH.

some of his columns have dealt with burning wood. Now he does have an outdoor furnace as opposed to a woodstove. However, he has 3 woodpiles, the location of which varies from year to year. The 3 piles are this year's wood, next year's wood, and two years hence wood.

This year's wood gets cut and split as necessary, then stacked in the woodshed next to the outside wood furnace.

What happens next year is that what was next year's wood becomes the current year, two year becomes next year, , and a new two year stack is started.

I agree with Think that you have to be careful with wood that is languishing on the ground for a couple of years, because it will end up rotting in the trunk.

I had a large poplar come down and about 2 years, maybe three, I was going to cut and split it for early and/ or late season burns to take the chill out of the house where you don't need an all day roaring fire to stay warm. I fired a up the chainsaw and it was like cutting a sponge. Bummed.

Check some of the logs. If there is a little rot by the bark, but the majority of the log is solid, go for it. Think 80-85% of the log solid.

I try not to waste wood. Don't forget 2-3 inch, even 4 inch rounds will burn well in an established fire. These would be smaller diameter trees and larger branches of bigger trees.

Good luck.

Dave