View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 08:20 PM   #87
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
FWIW, I have been burning wood for over 25 years. I have a large asphalt driveway that gets sun from mid-morning to about dinner time. I have had on the driveway anywhere from 5-6 cords of wood when I was burning 24/7 to about 3 cord when I'm burning from morning until bedtime, like now. The wood is on the driveway in June, usually not later than the 15th.The wood gets stacked under cover in late September. Our chimney has been cleaned annually by the same sweep for most of those 25 years. He always mentions how efficient our wood quality is, mainly red & white oak, maple, some birch and ash, for the minimal creosote buildup. The wood is green in the spring.

I use 2-3 sticks of fatwood to start the fire and am able to get a hot burn going, 400+° stack temp. We do tend the fire, damping it down as necessary to prevent over burn high temps and then opening the air more as it starts burning down.

We have a Hearthstone Madison stove with two eco style fans on the top of the stove to push hot air into the middle of the room and a 52 in circulating fan set to blow up in the winter.

I'll be getting ready to split wood over the next two months or so. In a perfect world, I would say a year to season wood, but my driveway acts almost like a kiln. My former supplier often said he wished all his customers had a driveway like mine.

Happy burning

Dave
There's certainly speedier ways than others to season! Fortunately, I've got a 4+ cord wood rack and only use ~1-1.5/year, so I'm always working with a clean and dry supply.

That's what I've gotta do to 100% scrounge—in 15 years, I've never paid for wood. Free heat!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote