View Single Post
Old 03-27-2022, 11:01 AM   #43
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
OK, I read that whole article; thanks for the link. I think this is what we're discussing: "Fuel load geometry: Small pieces of firewood arranged loosely in a crisscross pattern burn quickly because the combustion air can reach all the pieces at once. Larger pieces placed compactly burn more slowly because there are fewer spaces where the air can penetrate the load. Never add just one or two pieces of wood to a fire. Three or more pieces are needed to form a sheltered pocket of glowing coals that reflect heat toward each other and sustain the fire."

I started burning wood a few days ago. Now that I have more practice, I'm not having any trouble lighting the fire or keeping it going. Since I'm at home and my office is near the woodstove, I just add 1 to 3 pieces of wood, depending on their size, whenever the fire is getting low. By "low" I mean there are still flames and glowing coals, but there's room for more logs. I add a log about every 20 minutes. Temperature in the house is 64, which is exactly where I like it. What's wrong with this method, if I'm home and can tend the fire?
Nothing.
The longer burn times are for overnight, when no one is there to tend the fire.
Less of an issue when the wood stove is used as a secondary.
The oil-fired boiler kick in should the house temperature get below whatever you set at the thermostat.

Only thing is to be careful that the wood stove does not heat the thermostat to the point of ''fooling'' it and allow for remote rooms to get too cold (not as much a problem this time of year - but during deep winter it could cause some pipes to freeze).
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote