View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
hazelnut

Default Plymouth, Rumney, Ashland, Stinson Lake Trail

Lets see where to begin:

Saturday- Began at my sisters house in Ashland and went through downtown Plymouth, tracks and bridge exposed, bit of a nailbiter getting to the Common Man Inn. From the C.I.I on the powerlines towards Rumney conditions were good to very good. Took to the mountains from the Plain Jane area up to the big big Powerlines and then towards Wentworth then down towards Rumney again (151) I think, was fair to good to very good according to elevation. Then back to Ashland. I was so impressed with conditions (expectations were low) that I convinced a group to do it on Sunday.

Sunday - What a difference a day makes. Trails had gone downhill pretty fast. We rode it out did the (151) loop in reverse order from the day before. We made it back to the powerlines and were headed back to Plymouth when someone suggested we try the Bog trail and the trail towards Stinson. Well it started off VERY rough lots of waterbars and exposed rock and stumps. I was getting discouraged until we got some elevation and headed towards Stinson. I was so impressed with the conditions of those trails. Kudos to Central NH SNOMO club. I can't wait to get back to those trails when we get some more snow. The bummer was we eventually had to backtrack all the way back to Plymouth the way we went in. Usually we could have headed towards Campton and hit the tracks to Plymouth but I think you know why we couldn't do that.

A little over a hundred miles this weekend and I would consider it bonus riding because I wasn't even thinking we could have gone that far with the lack of snow we've had.

FYI - Saw lots of tracks on the lake today. I didn't venture out but I drove the truck over to Weirs to check out the RR Tracks. Saw the groomer, grooming along the strip at the Weirs (FYI the trail is now on the opposite side of the streets due to boardwalk construction). RR Tracks looked fair to good with a bit of rail showing but much better than I thought it would look after the Snowstorm. Weirs and Meredith got 8-10 it looks like.

Happy sledding.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote